Not just in Kent! My goodness! This has been going on forever! When I was in fifth grade I remember a very mean boy punching my teacher in the face. Working as a teacher, the first time a child threw furniture in my classroom was in 1997. No one knows what teachers’ work involves and until politicians and others step inside the classroom and spend time with teachers no one ever will. Then again, those spending time in classrooms might not even admit to what they see. We might call this “feigned ignorance” or “an easier way to blame teachers for all of the ills in society and education”. It’s time to wake up and admit that all of us have a great deal of work to do! Parents, guardians, teachers, politicians, and others. Not only are society and our political system collapsing – education is too! So – is teaching all bad? Heavens no! I wouldn’t trade a moment of my experiences – good or bad – for anything! Every experience in life is a lesson learned. I am not blaming! I realize that all any of us know is what we’ve been taught to a given point in our lives. It takes an effort to change experience for all. While we can’t change the past, we can do something about the present and future. It takes courage to speak up and out. Will you?
Welcome to Teacher View Today - a forum for “teacher voice” and a platform for expressing concerns, sharing success stories and imparting strategies to help others successfully maneuver each day in the classroom. Whether teaching K-12 or college, we all share like experiences. I hope you’ll consider Teacher View Today your “go to” place for collaboration outside your classroom. Nancy Ellington
The Real Object of Education…The real object of education is to give children resources that will endure as long as life endures; habits that time will ameliorate, not destroy; occupation that will render sickness tolerable, solitude pleasant, age venerable, life more dignified and useful, and death less terrible. Sydney Smith
- “Normal” Classroom Learning in the Age of Covid-19? July 13, 2020
- AFT endorses Joe Biden as Democratic nominee for president March 23, 2020
- Memorial Day 2019 – Memories May 27, 2019
- When students speak truth to power – Emma González – Marjorie Stoneman Douglas – Parkland, Florida February 19, 2018
- Gun violence in school – a child’s supposed “safe place” February 15, 2018
Top Posts & Pages
- "Normal" Classroom Learning in the Age of Covid-19?
- AFT endorses Joe Biden as Democratic nominee for president
- Memorial Day 2019 - Memories
- When students speak truth to power - Emma González - Marjorie Stoneman Douglas - Parkland, Florida
- Gun violence in school – a child’s supposed "safe place"
- Mercedes Schneider: Betsy DeVos Will Use D.C. Power to Force Vouchers Down Your Throat — Diane Ravitch's blog
- Progressivism and the fulfilled life...
- Social Skills Instruction - Needed Now More Than Ever...
- Call for articles - points of view...
- Seth Meyers shreds Detroit’s shady school system: You have to pay your teachers for teaching
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Stop Questioning?"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." Albert Einstein
A child’s spontaneity
“We cannot know the consequences of suppressing a child's spontaneity when he is just beginning to be active. We may even suffocate life itself. That humanity which is revealed in all its intellectual splendor during the sweet and tender age of childhood should be respected with a kind of religious veneration. It is like the sun which appears at dawn or a flower just beginning to bloom. Education cannot be effective unless it helps a child to open up himself to life.”
CollaborationCollaboration is a gift. We collaborate with others throughout our lives and when we create a really special bond, are always surprised at the richness the encounter can bring. Take advantage of the richness collaboration can bring to your table. Working with others makes any process less stressful. Sharing concerns as well as successes lightens your load!
Thoughts on writing
Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers.
Mean instructional salaries according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics updated March 27,2012…
Secondary School - $56,790
Higher Education - $51,630
Calendar of site posts…
May 2016 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Blogs I Follow
- Word Quilt
- Blue for Black
- Rafael Funchal
- SJH Business Plan Training
- My WordPress.com Site
- Righteous Guitar
- Site Title
- Estradas e bandeiras
- WordCamp Rochester
- Sam's Test AT Site
- WordCamp Buffalo 2014
- Matt Mullenweg