- providing the child with a sense of ethics
- teaching the child responsibility for his/her own health
- teaching the child sensitivity toward the responsibilities of citizenship
- mastery of the three “R’s”
- teaching the child to use leisure time well
- encouraging worthy human relationships with family and friends
- teaching the child to make a living
We have come to teach a new generation of students and the goals these days seem to focus on teacher quality and offering great schools for students to learn in. While the Common Core Standards stress highest student achievement for all I have to wonder – wouldn’t the goals presented in 1918 be practical for our students today and if so – why are we not paying more attention to them?